Sunday, May 28, 2006

It's good to be free

Well it's been a while since I posted and whilst its been a busy few days, not having to get up for school every morning at 9 has been pretty damn good. I am actually in Penang, an island in Malaysia at the mo and its the first time I've atcually been on my own since I left England and its a nice change but my hyperactive nature means I am looking forward to getting back to Bangkok tommorow and catching up with Paul (new nose and all!).

Well we got to Bangkok last Monday with no problems, and checked in to a hostel, a little bit out the way called Big Johns. Big John is an Australian who I am led to believe started selling pies and then basically everything snowballed from there and he has a hostel where you can eat his pies, arrange travel pretty much all sorts. Its a great cheap place if a little out the way, but the pie. chips and gravy certainly made up for it when we got there in the afternoon. I went for a quick nap around 6 ish and the previous week must have really caught up with me cause I woke up at 7 the next morning. I woke up feeling so refreshed and really glad that I had managed to catch up on the hours I had lost in Phuket. As a result a days shopping didn't turn out anyway near as bad as it should have done especially when you find an Argentina 86 shirt for 7quid, Paul bought retro Germany one as well - St Georges flags on cars boys we certainly are not!

With Paul going to get his nose done on Wednesday, we decided that myself. Alex, Sarah and Keith would head to Kanchanaburi, a place made famous as it was the scene of the infamous 'Death Railway' and location for the film 'Bridge on the River Kwai'. We understimated the Bangkok traffic which really is a nightmare and arrived half an hour late for our 2 1/2 hour bus to Kanchanaburi, but luckily it was still there and after lunch time we arrived at the River Guest House, which was exactly how it sounds, a guest house on the river. It was like being on my Dad's boat again everytime a longtail boat sped past to disturb the peace, the room we were staying in bobbed up and down - but the view was so beautiful it was worth it. We had big plans for the rest of the day once we got there but they soon disappered when we fell asleep amongst the tanquility after some food. As it was the last night myself. Alex, Keith and Sarah would be together as a result of me and Alex catching a flight on Friday we decided on one last hurrah that night. This was made easier in that the others found some lovely wine (a rairty and an expensive one at that in this part of the world) I just stuck to the beer then Jack Daniels and coke - something my head certainly regretted the next day! It was an eventful night that was for sure.

We woke up on Thursday refreshed and eager to make the most of catching the sights around Kanchanburi. We had made a contact in a bar the previous night for a driver and for just 20quid the 3 of us had a driver for the day and we imeadiately made our way to Hellfire Pass just over an hour away from Kanchanaburi. Hellfire Pass is one of the most recognised spots on the 'death railaway' that was built by Prisoners of War/ Many more locals for the Japanese war effort during World War 2. Hellfire Pass is a beautiful place with stunning scenary, despite this it was the scene of horrendous attrocities commited over 50 years ago. The site has been kept as it was and it involves a 4 km stretch walk along the old railway to give some albeit a little understanding of what those under Japanese control had to do. Hellfire pass is known as such because of the glow that emanted from the workers from the torch light that kept the prisoners working throughout the night - often after intensive day shifts. The tour involved listnening to an mp3 player with different stories from veterand at specific points - this really helped to give a sense of what happened. Basically the men on ridiculous rattions (1/4 of your recomended allowance) had to cut through rock 60 ft high to create a passage way all the while battling disease, fatigue, but even more disturbingly viscious abuse from their captors. It was really an emotional and amazing experience one that I won't forget for a long time, it just seemed impossible that such horror could occur in such beauty. After the tour at Hellfire pass we grabbed some cheap but lovely food and headed to a waterfall which was stunning although I have forgotten the name of it - but it was the perfect tonic for the emotional trip around Hellfire Pass. Our last stop on on our tour was the Bridge on the River Kwai (from the film) which after everything we had seen seemed a little false, but worth seeing nonetheless. Alex and I headed back to Bangkok in the evening as we had flights early in the morning, we had to leave Keith in Kanchanaburi, it was a real shame we had to do so.

Alex and I had to catch a taxi bleary eyed at 5 the next morning to go to the airport - I was flying to Malaysia to see Auntie Claire and Uncle Nik, whilst Alex had to head back to New York City. It sounds alot easier than it turned out cause surprise surprise someone hadn't checked their passport which was now less than 6 months from expiry (a requirement to get into Malaysia) and guess what, it wasn't Alex. Air Asia let me on although I had to sign a disclaimer absolving me of any costs I might occur if Malaysia immigration sent me back. I was worrying the whole way on the flight to Pennag (where I was catching my onward flight to Langakwai) however I needn't have bothered as I was waved through immigration with no problems. So I made it eventually to Langkawi which I have to say was an beautiful place even before I managed to arrive at the hotel Claire and Nik were at. Luxury doesn't even come close and I wont even begin to describe what it was like here's, the website http://www.thedatai.com/ it was just amazing. Lets just say it's not somewhere I will be able to afford to go to ...well for a very very long time or a honeymoon!

I left there this morning for 24 hours in Penang a little island in between Malaysia and Thailand. I'm being very crareful when it comes to money now, that and being on my own today felt that it was the first time I was properly travelling! I had to work out and find a bus to Georgetown the capital of the island (20km) away and then find a place to stay. I found a decent place for a fiver and after a nice walk around and a few beers I am back at the hotel doing this. Going back to Bangkok tommorow for a few days then hitting Pattaya which is supposed to be very 'interesting'! This time next week we shall hopefully be on the way to Cambodia as long as I can sort my passport out, and maybe just maybe the Glovers might have a Manager!

1 comment:

Cassi Campbell said...

Whatchya doin talkin bout honeymoons? Weirdo. Sounds like a great trip, Pups!