Sunday, May 07, 2006

Feelin even more 'Supersonic'

Firstly, I have been told off by some classmates at the TEFL school for my appalling grammar on the blog - behaviour not really expected by an English teacher! It's a fair cop, normally when I write the blog though I'm normally hungover and I just bash it out. However I'm going to sort myself out, so you grammarians out there should see an improvement. Speaking of 'grammar' that is definately proving the mosty challenging, I ve forgotten so much of the technical terms and all that cause I learnt nearly 15 years ago. Seen as I should be sure of what I'm teaching I've just bought a book 'How English works - A grammar practice book' so I shall ploughing through that for the next couple of weeks.

Well I've just got back from the most beatuiful place I've ever been too, Ko Phi Phi an island an hour and a halfs boat ride from Phuket. It's most famous because it was where 'The Beach' was filmed. To be honest I am still on an emotional high from the various sights I ve witnessed and however I try to describe it, it certainly won't do it justice.

It was initally going to be loads of us off the course, and as my role as organiser of 'Team TEFL' I was going to have to sort out travel and accomodation for 15 people. Luckily the number dwindled down to 5; myself, 2 American girls Alex and Sarah, Keith from Denver and Mike who is English but is a seasoned traveller and has lived in France for 8 years. Paul decided he had had enough of me and stayed in Phuket for a relaxing weekend! Anyway, its a only half day on Friday so at 2 we were getting on the boat to Ko Phi Phi which was only 5quid. The boat docks in a busy little port and you are immeaditaley besiged by Thais offering accomodation for various places on the island. I had spoken to a lad off the course and he said as soon as you get there just get a long boat taxi to Hat Yeo (Long Beach) where there's loads of cheap beachside bungalows and it's alot quieter, more relaxing and probably the most beautiful beach on the island. That all proved to be true and we soon found oirselves on a lovely beach looking for somehwhere to stay. The nicer looking places were full, so we ended up in what could be described as the most basic option. The two girls got a room for just over a fiver with a shower/toilet mosquito nets and fans for around 6 quid. We 'splashed out' and ended up paying 1.50 each for a room that was basically 3 beds (well at first glance they looked like beds on closer inspection there werent the most comfortable or clean ones!), very dim lights, 1 fan, all topped off with very very communal basic toilet and shower faciltites. Howvever, this was all made much less siginificant cause you could actually hear the waves lapping on the beach from the bed and we knew that a fair few drinks would be hard and sleeping probably wasn't going to be high on the agenda. We were right and we found that a stupid amount of Sam Song/Red Bull = skinny dipping at 2 in the morning! The less said about that the better, although with a camera doing the rounds I'm sure I wont be able to forget about it for a while!

Still a little drunk and weary from sleeping on a damp and hard bed I woke up at 7 and decided the best way to wake up would be to have a little swim. It certainly wasn't the worst sight I've had 1st thing in the morning the stunning landscape bettered by some magnificient cloud formations- not for the first time at the weekend I had to pinch myself to make sure I wasn't imagining it all. Maybe it was the Sam Song the night before but the rest of the group soon joined me and breakfast by the sea was had. Keith hired some snorkel masks, something which I was keen to do as I had never done before and the crystal clear waters looked like a good place to start. Aside from my own stupid fear of running into a shark, I swam transfixed looking at all manner of fish amongst beutiful coral and urchins. The fish just didn't seem to be bothered at all just going about their business, there were so many different types but the 'Nemos' were my favourite. I could have stayed out there all day but we decided that we were going to move to slightly more upmarket accomodation just down the beach. We hired a family room for all 5 of us with all the mod cons all for just 5quid each -much better. In the evening we headed back to the port and rather than get a long boat we decided to walk along the ruugged coastline which took around half an hour but again the beauty of the island was evident with more amazing beaches and coves. The port area was alot busier than Hat Yo which was so peaceful. We ended up in a bar called Apache which was very 'English' another Thai Chicago Rock, but seemed to be the only busy place in the area. I'm not sure why as it played some pretty basic dance music, was very cheesy and full of drunken Westerners. All that aside I managed to sink enough to make me dance (well I thought I was dancing the Americans in our party reckoned otherwise!)I like a loon for a few hours. We got a boat back, half an hour walk was definately beyond me at the stage and I soon passed out on the bed.

We got up at 8 and after a bit of faffing about we decided that we would hire a longboat and go to the smaller island opposite us called Phi Phi Le and do some quick snorkelling - we had to catch the ferry at 2:30 so we didnt have as long as we would have liked. Its the isalnd where they filmed the Beach but nothing prepared me for the sheer beauty of it. Its an uninhabited island but baot upon boat descend to its inlets and coves. Even the approach to our 1st spot was just a joy to see huge cliffs littered with greenery dotted about. The cliffs have been worn away by erosion so it looks like the isalnd is almost floating just above the waterline. We stopped at a beautiful(sorry I keep using that word alot but its just the best way to describe it) inlet and the water was even clearer than that at Hat Yao and we got snorkelling straight away. It was so much better than at Hat Yao more fish, more variety and just clear water. Aside from fish we got close to an an amazing Heron type bird which clearly didnt care about our presence, saw loads of crabs on the rocks and topping all that we swam into a cave and soon found ourselves in something straight out of a National Geographic picture. The cave had a hole say 100 feet above which let the light in highlighting the amazing rock formations, its hard to describe but it was just breathtaking. Short on time we reluctantly had to head back but the Long boat driver showed us even more amazing scenery, which literally was jaw dropping, we spent 20 minutes just in awe of what was in front of us. I'll try and get some pictures up soon but they will still not do the place justice.It was so horrible to have to head back but we had to get back for the ferry to Phuket. You might guess that I quite like the place, it was just the perfect get away from the pressure and familarity of the course, even better with great people- with memories that will last a very long time.

During the week the course really picked up the pace, and I had a further 2 teaching lessons, the 1st one was a bit dissapointing I thought I made a few silly mistakes and stupidly didnt follow the good plan I had done for the lesson. The staff here are great though and really do focus on the positives and make you reliase not to be too hard on yourself. The 3rd one though went so well, not only did I do most things right, but the students seemed to really understand me and tehy really seemed to enjoy themselves as did I. There is a big emphasis here to make the lessons fun as well as teaching the main points and it was so rewarding to get the students coming up to the you at the end of the lesson and saying 'thank you'. The more I teach the more I believe that it is something I want to do, to be honest I think I would want to do soemthing TEFL rather than living and teaching in England - especially if it means I can spend the weekends in places like Ko Phi Phi. First off though I am going to be a nanny for my favourite Auntie Claire very very hopefully in New York which I'm sure will be just as good as teaching! Its really good Alex who went to Phi Phi with us lives in New York and shes promised to take us out and show me some real dancing! Only had one night on the drink during this week after the teaching on Wednesday so I've been very good, especially when I am combining that with regular trips to the Gym. I'm actually starting to enjoy the workouts although I've still got some catching up to do with Paul.

Anyway the weekend is really starting to catch up with me so I will sign off - too tired to check it all so despite my good intentions apologies for any mistakes. Good to see the Glovers end the season in 15th place, no more football until...well that big cup thing in Germany!


Me and Alex


Clockwise Keith, Mike, Me and Alex


Me and Sarah after a couple of drinks!


A great example of when you've had too much Sam Song and Red Bull


Not the worse view 20m from your bedroom.


Hardly your greasy spoon in Elephant and Castle!

What happens when you have 2 nights on the drink

What you look like at the end of 2 nights on the drink.

The Beach


See how clear the water is

No comments: