Monday, May 01, 2006

Its not all Cigarettes and Alchol!

I was just re reading my blog earlier on and realised that alcohol plays a significant part and perhaps I should highlight that Thailand isnt just about Changs and Long Island Ice Teas!

Firstly the food its fantastic. For between 1 and 2 quid you can have a plate of proper nice food. As its so cheap, we just have all our meals out, and if you just want a quick bite whereas in England you might have reached for the Ginsters here a nice bit of chicken and rice is a much healthier and nicer alternative. I'm mainly sticking to the rice/meat dishes often with say garlic or pepper. You can get some really spicy dishes over here, often in the soups but with my tempremental stomach I've probably quite rightly steered clear. Also you can get some fantastic meat over, the barbecue beef and chicken is great and as I said before its just so cheap. There is alot of seafood over here but to be honest I am not a massive fan and I'm slightly worried about my stomach again! I still have had a huge variety of different dishes over here, each restaurant or street seller makes different versions or makes it slighlty different from than last place. Despite being a well known snackhead I've been very good about crisps and chocolate, which is equally surprising cause whilst the food is great for some reason it doesnt seem to fill you up. The only time I would say Ive had a full stomach is when we had a McDonalds yesterday. Terrible I know but great for a hangover, but I will certainly not get in the habit of it, which is easier said than done cause they actually do delivery over here! I am planning on doing a Thai cooking course when the course finishes cause I would love to cook some of the food when I have to trudge back to Blighty!

Another thing is that the Taxi drivers they come in to forms either a motorbike taxi or a tuk tuk which is a very odd vehicle best described as half motorbike/half car. They are ridiculously cheap, but there really dont know where anything is! Our school is on a very busy main road, its dead in the middle between the 2 main hospitals, but try as I might they just dont seem to know where to go. Same with our apartment again its on a busy road but they just dont know. We've even got cards with adresses in Thai for both places, but you still get the same confused look. Its a good job we didnt have to rely on them too much as we've got the bike.

Dim Taxi drivers aside the Thai people are amazing, it really is as they call it - 'The Land of Smiles'. Everyone be it restaurants or shops are just so friendly and helpful. The ones in the classroom are even more happy, they seem to really enjoy the lessons and have alot of fun as well as learning. They are also very respectful of you as well, as teachers are seen as very important people in society - defo not the same as in England. Speaking of which I had my 2nd teaching lesson today which went well despite a couple of hiccups. Again, I knew what I did wrong straight away its all about ironing the mistakes out with practice, even then the observer said I managed to work my way through it well. It is really enjoyable teaching them, so much so that the nerves soon go when you get stuck in.

Mossies are unfortunately quite a nuisance, and they seem to like me and there seem to have been a fair few in my room. Ive been getting the odd bite here and there until recently when it stepped up a notch, and the constant process of applying tiger balm was getting tiresome. So I had a bit of a cull last night and spent half an hour tracking the buggers down and 7 met there maker but clearly there were some hanging about cause I had a few more bites this morning. I am going to invest in some higher strength Mossie spray but I do have a few attractive scabs! The mossie bites go well with my burn on my leg from the motorcycle exhaust I got the other day as well, which has turned nice and scabby - the Chemist clearly has seen such a injury before so knew straight away what cream to give us.

Anyway theres probably loads I have forgotten which I no doubt will try to shed some light on later, but just thought I should let you know there is much more to this place than alcohol - although that aint half bad either!

No comments: