Thursday, June 08, 2006

Roll with it

Well it's been a while since I last let you all know what I've been up to, thought I would wait till I was really hungover because it seems to sort my head out being sat on the computer for a hour. And Yes I'm really hungover, after a few weeks rest I decided to get back on the Changs (the 60p price tag might've had something to do with it!) a few of them followed by the obligatory Long Island's meant I woke up this morning with a very sore head. I've spent the afternoon watching Scarface in the restaurant in our hotel and after sitting there for 2 1/2 hours the dvd decided to break 10 minutes from the end, so I didnt say 'ello to my little friend'.

It seems a while ago and I actually have forgotten what I did last Monday,Tuesday and Wednesday it obviously wasn't anything too interesting. The most exciting thing was that Paul and I moved to a hotel just of Khao San Rd and as we are keeping an eye on the pennies decided to get a twin room, obviously ensuring the beds were far enough apart! On Thursday we went to an old prison set in one of the parks in Bangkok. Instead of housing inmates it is now the home of the Museum of Corrections. Inside each cell there are artefects such as instruments of torture, the machine gun used for previous executions and loads of other interesting but slightly disturbing stuff such as the old syringes prisoners use to use to inject their drugs - nasty! It wasn't as weird as it sounds and it was actually made quite funny by some old lady leading us around describing everything to us in non-stop Thai which we just responded to with a smile and "Okay". We went out that night to a place called RCA which is pretty much the 'Bangkok Deansgate Locks' loads of really cool/trendy bars so not really Deansgate Locks then, but I hope you get what I mean. We stayed in the first one we went into all night the music was great but mainly because they had bottles of Jonnie Walker whisky for around 15quid. Having a big bottle of spirits in pubs/clubs over here is a really common thing, so much so that most bars have loads of bottles behind the bar which people bar and leave and come back and drink whenever they want. In some clubs here you can actually take your own bottle of spirits in and you just pay for the mixers. Whereas Thais might buy a bottle and drink a bit and save some for next time such a habit is pretty much alien to 4 brits (Paul and I were joined by our former coursemates Tony and George - who we had spotted in Bangkok a couple of days previous) and we had 2 bottles between us. As a result we were all ridiculously drunk and dancing like loons, although this didn't stop endless Thais coming up to us and chatting and dancing to us for most of the night.

The next day's hangover was componded further by the news that I wasn't going to get a visa to go to Cambodia as my passport is less than 6 months expiry, so our intended departure on Tuesday wasn't going to happen. It can only be described as a 'grade A f**k up' for once my lack of organisation really making me pay and rueing not sorting it out before I came over - that would have been too sensible. It takes 3 weeks to get a new passport so I have to stay in Thailand for all that time. Granted, it's not the worst place to stay but I was really geared to do some proper travelling and keen to get to Cambodia and Vietnam cause they are alot chaper than Thailand. Oh well as someone once said 'You've gotta Roll with it' and at least the World Cup starts soon.

I soon forgot about my troubles when Paul and I headed to Pattaya on Saturday. Pattaya is named 'Sin City' mainly because if you want a girl, boy or even a girl/boy then your money is very very much welcome there. As a result the town has perhaps the highest proportion of fat, bald, ugly, pasty white men in the world outside of America of course! Seeing such men with attractive young ladies is at first quite an odd and slightly amusing sight, but you see it so much that in the end you become immune to it. Something that you don't become immune to are all the bar girls all shouting from their workplaces 'WELCOME' , 'HEY SEXY MAN' at ridiculous volume everytime you walk past and I'll say this there are alot of bars and consequently alot of bargirls. We managed to find some really cheap digs and soon headed off into the night, where fun was had by all!

Sunday was pretty quiet had a look at defo the worst beach in Thailand, went Bowling of which I won one game and remarkably stayed off the beer - 3 nights on the drink had taken their toll. I had to leave early on Monday morning to be back in Bangkok for lunchtime so I could head to the British Embassy to apply for my bloody passport. In order to keep the spending down we've not done much since except change hotels for one with a TV just to stem the boredom. One of the lads off the course Neil arrived yesterday hence the night out last night. We have decided that Bangkok is getting a bit too much so we are all heading to Kanchanaburi tommorow for a week or so to get out of the city and find some peace and quiet. I loved it last time I went and wished I could've spent more time there and now seems like a great time to do it and its cheaper up North (it always is isn't it!).

So it's been a low key week or so exactly what was needed, Yeovil have finally got a new manager and started signing players and the World Cup starts tommorow so I think the quiet times will soon be over.

No comments: